US gang battle between the Latin Kings and the Trinitarios, a Dominican gang
Ateenager charged with firing into a crowd and shooting two people during a gang melee outside Allen High School last year will be tried as an adult and his confession to police that he committed the crime can be used in court, a judge has ruled.

 

Lehigh County Judge Kelly L. Banach denied Jonathan J. Pereira's request to be tried as a juvenile and his motion to suppress his confession to police.

Pereira, who was 17 when the November 2010 shooting occurred, shouldn't be charged as a juvenile, Banach ruled, because a juvenile facility could only house him until he's 21.

"It is in the public's interest that the defendant remain in the adult system," the judge wrote in an opinion this month.

Pereira, who turned 19 on Dec. 12, was three weeks away from turning 18 when he allegedly shot a man and a 14-year-old Allen student on Nov. 17, 2010, outside the Allentown school during what police called a gang battle between the Latin Kings and the Trinitarios, a Dominican gang.

The fracas took place around dismissal time, 3:30 p.m., in the 1400 block of Linden Street, just two blocks from the high school.

Carlos Perez, 38, who lives near the high school, was struck three times and nearly died. The student, Braiham Graciano, was hit once and a friend helped carry him to a nearby hospital.

Both needed emergency surgery.

Police say Pereira fired two shots into a crowd walking home from the high school two days earlier. The Dominican Republic native who was living with his aunt in Allentown missed, hitting a parked car in the 1300 block of Turner Street, according to court records.

Pereira is charged with attempted homicide, two counts of aggravated assault and other charges.

In March, Pereira asked to be tried as a juvenile. He also said his statement to police — he allegedly admitted to shooting into the crowd seven times but said he didn't mean to harm anyone — shouldn't be used against him because an adult wasn't with him when he made the statement and he wasn't fully aware he waived his rights to remain silent. During the interview, police say he also confessed to shooting into a crowd and missing two days prior.

"The defendant was three weeks away from his 18th birthday at the time of the interrogation," Banach wrote. "He understood the situation, as a thorough review of the interrogation video demonstrates, in that he was responsive and comprehended what was going on when the detectives presented him with the waiver form."

Witnesses to the shooting independently identified Pereira as the shooter and when police arrested him on Nov. 18, they found a large .22-caliber gun in his backpack with two boxes of .22-caliber ammunition matching the type of shell casings found at the shooting scene. Police say Pereira brought the gun —which he had obtained illegally — to school in his backpack and hid the gun in a bush until after school when he retrieved it and used it.

"These are very serious acts and by hiding the gun, the defendant demonstrated some degree of planning or preparation," Banach wrote.

During the melee, police say Luis Manuel Roman, 17, slashed a 16-year-old Allen classmate with a machete. Banach noted more than 50 Allentown police officers responded to the battle and officers were forced to patrol the area for several days following the melee.

Roman, a reputed Latin Kings gang member, is charged as an adult with robbery, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, simple assault, theft, receiving stolen property and possession of an instrument of crime.

Roman and Pereira have been locked up in Lehigh County Prison since their arrests.

Source: www.mcall.com/news

 

Related articles:

 

Canadian police drug raid targeted Dominican gang

     

Canadian Police suspect that the gang has been active for the past 15 years and acted as a broker in the importation of cocaine and ecstasy into Canada, which was then re-distributed on the streets by the Italian mafia, street gangs, and Hells Angels......

 

 

 

Federal report shows Dominican gangs centralizing drug operations in U.S.

     

A drug and gang crime report released by a branch of the U.S. Department of Justice shows Dominican gangs are strengthening and centralizing their drug operations in Hazleton.......

 

 

 

 

Dominican gang member faces 100 years in prison

     

Polanco "Primera"(The Boss), in addition to charges of drug trafficking, racketeering, illegal firearm possession, attempted murder and conspiracy to distribute ecstasy, is accused of recruiting dozens of youngsters in public schools, mainly in Providence......

 

Go back | Date: 28 Dec 2011
Proud to be the most
factual DR news site!
We keep the stories
& investigations alive
that cozenage groups
want to hide or forget
rssFacebookTwitterFlickr
Facebook
Quick Search – All Articles
Video about DR's Sugar Barons
The horrible conditions of Haitian sugar cane workers in the Dominican Republic

The truth about Leonel
Must Watch This Video About President Leonel's DRUG CONNECTIONS!!

Top Stories
Most Read Stories
"This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of criminal justice, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research or any other non-commercial purposes."
Please support our work
1000 of hours are being
spend yearly on collecting
articles, investigations and
answering emails.