A COUPLE are suing a travel firm after sickness ruined their dream holiday.
Ashley and Catherine Wilkinson, from Anchorsholme, booked the luxury trip to the Dominican Republic to celebrate their first wedding anniversary in January but fell ill just days into the getaway.
Mr Wilkinson, 43, was so ill a doctor had to give him an antibiotic injection.
The pair, who suffered the after-effects for several weeks after flying home, have instructed law firm Irwin Mitchell to sue holiday company First Choice after their disastrous stay at the Fun Royale Hotel.
Mr Wilkinson said: "It was a total nightmare, people talk about holidays from hell - well, this was it.
"I fell ill within two days of being there after I was bitten by fire ants on my legs, ankles and arms.
"Then we both fell ill with stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea. It was horrendous."
Mrs Wilkinson, 40, added: "About 70 per cent of the hotel were ill.
"When we tried to speak to the rep, he didn't want to know. When we asked if we could fly home early, we were told there were no seats available
"We were very disappointed with the way we were spoken to and treated.
"Clean bed linen was left on the ground, in the gravel, so dirt and insects could get in and we saw mice in the restaurant.
"There was a tissue found in an omelette and we didn't see them fumigating to get rid of the ants."
Despite being given a further course of antibiotics from their GP after returning home the couple were still unwell for several weeks.
Mr Wilkinson said: "You normally don't want to come home after a holiday, but we were so relieved to be back."We spent most of the time in the hotel room being ill. It wasn't just the money, it was my holiday entitlement which was used up and ruined."
And the couple's solicitor is now demanding First Choice take action to ensure other travellers are protected.
Claire Comiskey, from Irwin Mitchell's international travel litigation team, representing the couple, said: "It's simply not good enough Mr and Mrs Wilkinson's wedding anniversary was ruined by illness.
"First Choice was responsible for ensuring the Fun Royale was safe and suitable for holidaymakers to stay there.