|DominicanToday.com - Justice minister Radhamés Jiménez on Sunday revealed he has in his power extradition requests from the United States, including two Army colonels, and the son of a general, ending two weeks of speculation.
A source quoted by news source listin.com.do said the general, whose name or branch couldn’t be obtained, took to his son to the U.S. authorities and hand him over in Puerto Rico, to keep the extradition request from being made public.
Jimenez declined to reveal the senior officers’ names and ranks but said the public will be provided all the details in the appropriate moment.
He revealed that each case is being evaluated and would be transacted as long as the requests are properly sustained. “I really don’t have the details but there are several extradition orders and we’re working on that and… I believe the national public opinion will have the opportunity to know the details.”
Interviewed by Cristhian Jiménez on the program Encuentro Extra, the official acknowledged that two colonels and a general’s son had been requested in extradition but again refused to reveal names and ranks.
“What you can be sure of, and the country is that if any citizen is requested in extradition who has infringed the law in any other country, if the requests are well sustained and the treaties and international agreements correspond with it, extradition will be approved, regardless who that citizen is.”