|(BERNAMA.com) -- The Health Ministers of Haiti and the Dominican Republic met on Monday to discuss epidemiological control strategies, mainly related to the cholera epidemic affecting both nations.|
Objectives of the meeting include the identification of public health-related priority issues, plans to mobilise technical and human resources and the drafting of a road map to put cholera under control, said an official communique.
At least 7,000 Haitians have died of cholera since the outbreak began in Oct 2010 and nearly 500,000 have been made ill, Haiti's Health Ministry said.
The disease has spread from Haiti to the neighbouring Dominican Republic, where 21,000 cases and 363 deaths from cholera have been reported, Jon Andrus, Deputy Director of the UN World Health Organisation's Pan-American Health Organisation, was quoted to have said earlier.
According to Haiti's health ministry, the illness had now partially stabilised, with no increase in the number of deaths or infections.
Haiti authorities announced a vaccination campaign for Jan this year, but has yet to take off.
Only two percent of the 10 million Haitian people have access to drinking water.
In December last year, a group of lawyers representing more than 5,000 cholera patients threatened to bring the United Nations to court if it failed to address a compensation claim filed by them.
It includes US$100,000 for relatives of the dead and US$50,000 for every person infected.
Must read before travelling to the Dominican Republic: