SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC — Activists in the Dominican Republic say they will try to block a Canadian company from reopening a mine that previously caused $75 million in environmental damage.
Alexander Mundaray said Wednesday that he and others will fight the plan announced last year by Barrick Gold and Goldcorp to make a $3 billion investment to extract gold, silver and other minerals from the Pueblo Viejo mine.
Mundaray's environmental group was among those that successfully forced the closing of a cement plant last year that contaminated the region.
Barrick Gold and Goldcorp said the mining project will create 3,550 jobs and operations will begin in late 2011.
The mine was in operation from 1975 to 1999.
source: Washington Examiner
Read more about the activists against Barrick Gold in the Dominican Republic on this blog and support their work on facebook
Although initial reports said a boiler had exploded on Sunday and led to the intoxication of the mine’s workers, by Monday afternoon Barrick Gold confirmed that at least 300 employees became ill from food poisoning. Norwegian Pension Fund divested $230 million CAD from Barrick Gold for ethical concerns..........read more