SANTO DOMINGO – The creator and producer of a popular television drama about crime was murdered over the weekend and two people are in custody in connection with the slaying, Dominican police said Monday.
The body of Miky Breton, producer of Channel 5’s “Relatos” program, was found Sunday night in Santo Domingo, police said, adding that the victim had been stabbed several times.
Police arrested two suspects in connection with Breton’s killing, police spokesman Nelson Rosario told reporters.
The Santo Domingo prosecutor’s office, meanwhile, said it identified the suspected murderer.
Neither police nor prosecutors, however, would release the suspects’ names. EFE
And the day after another attack on a journalist mentioned in DominicanToday -
The journalist Nuria Piera condemned Monday night’s aggression against her associate Franklin Guerrero and said the attack shows the little security under which the Dominican media do its work.
“As you nay understand I don’t accept it, it’s part of the lack of vigilance and security the journalist has when they to their work. Now I hear that the prosecutor is going to place safety measures because no one was there defend him then and he had to put up with being beaten up and is camera being taken from him,” she said.
She questioned that the incident took place in the National District Office of the Prosecutor, where she affirms reporters didn’t find any police security, as if it was a public park.
In addition to Guerrero the journalist Máximo Polanco was also attacked when they covered the arraignment of the convicted drug trafficker Manuel Emilio Mesa, (El Gringo), arrested with 4.3 million pesos in a SUV.